Chew Sean Thong
Dogs vs Chocolate: What You Should Know about the Forbidden Treat
Updated: Mar 28
One man’s snack can be another dog’s poison. It’s no secret that the much-beloved hooman treat is the Kryptonite to all existing doggos, but what is it exactly that makes chocolate so dangerous to our fur-child? And what should we do if our precious doggos accidentally licked melted chocolate off the floor 😖?
Your concerns are totally valid and understandable — which is why we came up with a summarized article on what you should definitely know about the Forbidden Treat. 🍫 The health and safety of our precious puppers must be protected!
(P.S: This article is fact-checked by a local veterinarian!)
Why is chocolate bad for dogs?
That's because chocolates contain theobromine, a chemical that is extremely toxic for dogs. While hoomans can quickly digest theobromine within a few hours, doggos do not have that luxury. 😟
Unlike for hoomans, theobromine can stay in the digestive system of dogs for up to 18 hours. This can affect their central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and the respiratory system, hence causing our precious fur-children to fall ill.
What happens if a dog eats chocolate?
It all depends on your doggo’s size and how much chocolate they accidentally ate. 😥
Chocolate poisoning symptoms may last up to 72 hours, ranging from mild to serious. For example:
- Abnormal / increased heart rate
- Sudden death
These signs usually appear within 2 to 12 hours after your dog has consumed chocolate. Older doggos or puppers with heart problems have a higher risk of dying from chocolate poisoning due to weaker immune systems.
What should I do when my dog eats chocolate?
If you believe your dog has eaten chocolate, bring them to the nearest vet immediately!
Depending on the size, amount and type of chocolate consumed, you may need to constantly monitor your dog’s condition and report back to your local animal doctor if their condition worsens. Your pupper may also need an overnight stay at the clinic if they’re experiencing seizures.
How long does it take a dog to recover after eating chocolate?
It can take up a total of 3 days, though this may vary according to the level of toxicity in your doggo.
What are the most dangerous types of chocolate for my fur child?
Different kinds of chocolate have different concentrations of theobromine and caffeine, which are hazardous to your dog’s nervous system. The higher the theobromine levels, the more poisonous it is for your furry pal! The short list below ranks chocolate products and the theobromine levels from most to least, so remember to keep a look-out!
-Semi-sweet chocolate & dark chocolate
(Psst! Although white chocolate contains little to zero theobromine, you should still pay a visit to your local animal doctor with your doggo, just in case!)
How do I prevent my doggo from eating chocolate?
The easier way to do this is to make sure that all chocolate products are kept in a place where your dog cannot reach, like your kitchen shelves or refrigerator. After eating any chocolate-related snacks, remember to properly dispose of any wrappers or stains that you might have left behind on any surfaces (like floors, tables and chairs!) to prevent your doggo from ingesting them.
Additionally, always remind any children or guests that visit your house to keep chocolate away from your pupper! Not everyone is aware of how poisonous these sweet treats can be, and puppy eyes can be very hard to resist. 😓
You can even teach the “leave it” command to your dog! That way, you can prevent them from chewing on chocolate wrappers that people have left behind on their walks. ૮ ◞ ﻌ ◟ ა
Thanks for reading this far! We hope that this list was helpful to all pawrents looking to better understand their puppers so that they can live happy and healthy life~ You can save this article for future reference and share it with fellow doggo owners. 🐕
If there are more that we should include or any updates, hit us up at our Instagram or email us at email@example.com.